RE: Is there a lawyer in the room?

James P wrote: <Snip> In that way, for example, if someone has a smashing
photo they wanted to submit they could do so, and we would be free to use it
for promotional/other purposes while the submitter retains the copyright and
freedom to use/sell/publish/whatever his creation as well?

James: I am not a copyright lawyer, but I think you have mentioned a
possible solution to this problem before. We should require each participant
to sign a well-worded release giving us publishing rights. That release
could also include wording which gives the participant ownership of the
photo. I think it would also be reasonable for us to return a print or slide
to the owner if they include a SASE along with their submission.

Ken Guin
Arlington, VA