Re: aga-contest - Olga's comments

At 03:51 PM 7/12/99 -0500, Olga (I think!<G>) wrote:

>>        Fees: There are no fees.  The show is supported entirely by AGA
>>                and by volunteers.
>
>Has this been decided for sure?

I've been waiting to see other people's responses on this one.  I will, of
course present it to the entire MC which ever way this group wants to have
it presented.  I THINK it will get a better response from the MC and SC if
there is at least a nominal fee for non-members.  That is the direction I
would lean in personally.

> and a sketch plan of the aquarium layout.
>
>Think this needs debating. I like the idea but does it make too much exta
>work scanning and etc?

I think in terms of this being a useful learning tool, diagrams could be
important.  It could always be a second round... Come up with finalists
then ask for diagrams only from them.  But of course that complicates
things even more.

>I think we should stick with one tank per entry.

If you really want to see a lot of beautiful tanks, why limit people to
one?  Let's learn from them all.  Besides that, I know that on at least 2
occassions, I've entered two different tanks in outr BAS Home Show, and had
the one of the two that I liked less win the class.

>Contestants can decide
>among their tanks which one to submit. If tanks fall into different
>categories then maybe multiple entries are okay. For instance... one high
>tech.. one low tech.

We haven't talked about categories at all.  I think that "high tech" and
"low tech" are very muddy categories.  We've had L-O-N-G debates over what
those terms actually mean on the APD.  It might make more sense to divide
them by size, or possibly open top, paludarium, closed top, (can you think
of other permutations?)

>People's choice is good. Though if this is not the judges choice it may
>cause some dissatisfaction. Guess we could provide a "certificate"
>(whatever) to the People's Choice winner too.

I think it's OK.  It's common practice to have a "people's choice" award at
AS fish shows.  Often you'll have a big flamboyant colorful fish with a
serious fin flaw that just doesn't pass muster with the judges that is
still a big favorite with the "unwashed masses"<g>  Everyone knows why the
fish didn't win Best of Show, but he's still a fish that many people would
be happy to have in their fish room.  It can be a tip of the hat to an
"also ran".

Karen