Re: Entrance Fees

James wrote:
<<<David, please don't take this as a flame, because it isn't - but why do
you
think you should get a free ride? As I said above, there WILL be costs
associated with this contest. If the AGA does not pick up the entire tab or
even part of the tab, who do you think should? Me? Olga? Erik? Richard? I'm
absolutely flabbergasted that _anyone_ should think that they should be able
to get involved in something like this for nothing.>>>

OK, I didn't explain my thoughts sufficiently.  I can really see the logic
behind having a reduced rate for members.  I was working under the
assumption that this contest would have minimal costs.   If the costs are so
minimal, and the AGA is a "real" organization with "real" money, then
wouldn't it be worth it for the AGA to chip some money into the contest?
When contests are sponsored it usually involves the sponsors putting money
into the contest.  Why should the AGA get a contest named after it if it
doesn't pay for the contest?  Do you see my point?  Yes, most of the
organization for the contest is being done by AGA members, but is the AGA
formally doing any of this organization?  No, it's members of the APD that
are getting things done right now. (Lots of overlap between the two, I know)
Now, don't take these comments to mean that I don't think AGA sponsorship is
a bad thing.  I think that it'll be great, and that it could bring renewed
interest in the AGA.

Again, I'm just hoping that the contest's costs are minimal, and that this
is possible.  If the costs are more than the AGA can afford ( I have no idea
what it's treasury is looking like), then by all means, if fees *must* be
levied, members should get discounts.  But it is my opinion(should I put
that in bold?), that if the AGA can't support a contest with as little costs
as most of us have said we think there will be, then perhaps it shouldn't be
an AGA contest.  ( I assure you I'm hoping that is not the case)

Dave Engle
Escondido (San Diego) California
I hope my point was better worded this time.