Costs (rambling, sorry)

Good morning.

James' Points are well taken.

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, James Purchase wrote:

> I also think it would be presumptuous of us to expect Erik to front the
> money for CD-ROM's of the submissions if we elect to have those made for
> release/sale to the general public once this is over.

This might be another non-issue, because I'd expect to do this "on
demand", making copies as needed.  But it would be nice, for instance, to
have an advance to go buy a label kit or maybe get 100 printed inserts.

> And who do you think
> pays for the hard drive space and the Internet access which will be required
> to host this on the Internet in the first place?

Beleive it or not, the AGA actually now pays for its web site
connectivity, because it's no longer housed at an educational institution.
The drive space, hardware and time (the most valuable resource), however,
is all still donated by one of its members. :)

As I was composing the above, Karen wrote in:

> I'd just like to point out that Erik maintains both the AGA web site AND
> the APD on his computer equipment.  AGA pays Erik a (very modest) fee for
> this service.  APD doesn't.  Even the APD would not exist were it not
> for a few dedicated people who ensure that it is there for all of us to
> enjoy.

Sorry, not true about APD.  APD came into being too early for me to house
it (Shaji Bhaskar asked if I could when he started the list).  It is
housed by Mark A. Rosenstein of "Active Window Productions" and FINS (and
who did have his own hardware back then!), but he's doing the same kind
volunteerism by housing the list, maintaining the archive, fixing
Majordomo when it gets sick, etc.  Mark's a great volunteer; he doesn't
keep plant tanks (or freshwater at all, I think), makes no money by
housing FINS or the APD... but still keeps it running after several years.

But if you substituted "the Krib" for "APD", it'd be true.