more on judging

Comments on judging to this point have overlooked the "People's Choice"
award.  I think this should be by popular vote by email or by snail mail
if the smail is received by the end of judging.  Most votes = #1, second
most=#2, third most=#3.  In the even of a tie for any postition both
contestants will be awarded the position and the next lower position will
be eliminated.  For example, if there's a tie for second place, both
contestants will be awarded second place and no third place will be
awarded.  This might be a problem in the unlikely(?) event of something
like a 5-way tie for 1st.

For the remainder of the judging, I prefer a ranking of "superior",
"excellent" and so on (precise wording to be worked out) over a place
ranking.  This is done is competitions where the contest is most
interested in encouraging participation and where a precise ranking would
be very difficult; I think that's where we are.  This might also simply
the question of awards.

The greatest outcome for me from participation in the contest might *not*
be the judge's ranking, but the judges *comments* about my tank.  Should
we make an effort to return the judges' comments to the individual
competitors?

A single "Best of Show" result is also a possibility.

Roger Miller