Proposal - 2nd Draft in Progress

Folks,

I've been going over things and using Roger's initial Draft Proposal as a
guideline, I have prepared the attached, plugging in what _I think_ are
generally accepted points. I'd like to know what you think.

I know that it might seem odd to some to condense _all_ of what we discussed
into such a small document but the next order of business, once we finish
with this is to get AGA MC approval of the concept. I don't feel that it is
important right now to have
fully fleshed out all of the details of the showcase/contest or to belabour
any points much beyond what I present here in our initial proposal.

You will notice that there are four points, Entrance Fees, Submission
Deadline, Awards and Promotion that we have not yet put on the floor for
much serious
discussion or were set aside for later consideration. Also,  I have yet to
ask the group if there are any other points which should be made in the
proposal, but I think that if we can agree on the points listed we will have
accomplished something.

Please let me know what you think. Please LIMIT your discussion to the
Sections which we have covered - I don't want anyone to start discussing
promotion or one of the XXXX'd out areas at this point in time.

Proposal to the AGA MC  - Second Draft

I. Preamble

This proposal grew out of a discussion of aquascaping which originated on
the on-line forum The Aquatic Plants Digest. A suggestion was made and
widely agreed to, that it would be desirable to host a competition, open to
aquarists worldwide, which would showcase the different approaches and
styles of aquascaping as it exists today. It was further suggested that as
the Aquatic Gardeners Association is an international group dedicated to
this aspect of the hobby, it would be desirable if the event was accepted by
that organization as an officially sanctioned event.

An unofficial committee of people was invited to discuss the proposal and to
formulate initial plans to organize it. This document reflects the
discussions of that committee.

II. Title

AGA International Aquascaping Showcase & Competition

This name reflects the hope of the organizing committee that the event
encompass the following points:
a. it becomes an officially sanctioned event of the AGA.
b. the scope of the event is International. Submissions are to be encouraged
from aquarists in all parts of the world.
c. the event is to be primarily a showcase of aquascaping and not a
photography contest.
d. the collegial ideal of sharing and learning from one another through the
images of aquascaped aquariums is paramount in importance over the
competative nature of a strict competition.

III. Venue

All submitted entries shall be converted to electronic format and made
available for public viewing on the Internet, at a website devoted to the
event, or alternatively, a section of an existing website devoted to the
aquascaped aquarium. Additionally, all submitted entries shall be archived
on CD-ROM and these will be made available for a nominal charge to any
interested party at the close of the event.

By placing all submissions on the Internet it is felt that the maximum
number of people will have an opportunity to view the entire body of
entries, regardless of where they live. By providing the same material on
CD-ROM we can reach those people who do not have Internet access but who
still have use of or access to a computer. The organizing committee realizes
and acknowledges the fact that not everyone has such access and we plan to
submit selected entries to various hobbyist magazines worldwide in the hopes
that at least some may be printed and available for viewing.

IV. Entrance Eligibility

The event will accept submissions from all aquarists, without regard for
their origin, level of experience, or skill level.

Entries may be of:
a. planted freshwater aquariums
b. planted brackish-water aquariums
c. planted paludariums

V. Submission Format

Entries may be submitted in the following formats:
a. photographic prints
b. photographic transparencies
c. electronic images

The organizing committee is preparing guidelines for the submission of
electronic images which will be published with the public announcement of
the event. Our goal is to make this as easy a process for the entrant as
possible.

All submitted material will be converted into electronic format by the event
organizers and other volunteers.

VI. Submission Components

All submissions are to consist of the following components:

a. completed entry form, giving details of the submitter's name, city and
country of origin, mailing and/or e-mail address, age and length of
involvement with planted aquariums.
b. details of the aquascape submitted. Details requested shall consist of
such things as aquarium size, volume, age of set-up, list of plants and
other decorative elements used.
c. A sketch or plan view of the aquascape, showing the placement of the
various plants and other components incorporated within it.
d. A series of images of the individual's aquarium, showing various views of
the aquascaping. A minimum of three and a maximum of six images is
requested.
e. An optional statement from the entrant describing the purpose and/or goal
of the aquascape.

The organizing committee shall prepare standardized forms for both entry and
aquarium details and these will be available to entrants via on the Web and
as printed documents sent through the postal service.

Submissions may be made electronically, via the Internet or through the
mail.

Help with submissions will be available both via e-mail and through the
mail. This help will be provided by volunteers from the organizing
committee.

VII. Entrance Fee
?????????????????????????????

VIII. Return of Submitted Material

Material submitted to the event will not be returnable to the entrants and
prominent notification will be given to that effect. Entrants shall be urged
to submit only duplicate prints or transparencies.

IX. Copyright

The Copyright for submitted material shall remain with the owner of the
image. The AGA (or Organizing Committee) shall have the right to place all
submitted material (except for details such as entrant's address and/or
e-mail address) on the Internet, make the same material available on CD-ROM
or other distributable media, as well as publication in TAG, the journal of
the AGA, and/or various hobby related magazines for the purpose of
showcasing  either the entries or the showcase itself. A credit line shall
be given to the aquarist/photographer for each such use, however no other
form of payment shall be made.

X. Deadline for Submission
?????????????????????????????

XI. Judging

Entries shall be sorted into like categories for display and judging
depending upon the size and nature of the aquascape. Due to the fact that
this is the first event of its kind, no preconceived listing of possible
categories will be made public. This is to encourage the creativity and
artistic freedom of entrants in how they display their efforts.

The organizing committee is preparing a list of potential judges drawn from
a pool of international experts in the hobby.

Judges will be provided with a set of standardized guidelines with which to
evaluate each submission and will be requested to provide written comments
on each entry. These "judges' comments" will be made available to the
individual entrants but not made public unless agreed to by the entrant.

A "People's Choice" selection will be made available to the public from the
images published on the Internet.

X. Awards

XI. Promotion