Re: Kinder, Gentler, but not necessarily Simpler

Howdy,

Looks great.  I can go along with almost all of the rules and guidelines so
far.  Other's have pointed out that we should encourage the contestants to
provide certain information, such as a plan of the aquascape, but this
should not be a requirement.  I agree.

I do not agree with having tank dimensions and/or volume fall under the
optional heading.  If this is the case we may as well throw out the part
about dividing entries up into different categories.  This goes back to that
"faked" discussion that was going on earlier.  How are we going to feel when
we put someone's 120 gallon in a class with much smaller tanks?  Or has it
been decided that tank size is irrelevant and a 2.5 gallon should be capable
of competing with a 240 gallon?  (Or vice versa.)  Maybe I'm just beating my
head against the wall needlessly here.  Sure, it may not be that difficult
to estimate the size of a tank based on the photographs, but what if it is?
I know we want to keep things simple, and I know that a lot of people may
not know the concentration of nitrates in their tanks, but the SIZE of their
tank?!  Come on, that shouldn't be any more challenging than providing their
address, IMHO.  Tell 'em to get out their tape measures and learn it if they
don't know it!  :-)

Dave E. wrote:

Are we just going to make people judge their place for
themselves if they're not in the top three?  Maybe I'm missing something?

James replied:

I see nothing wrong with making the raw scores available on the website -
what does everyone else think?

Dave V. writes:

Maybe this is what you're saying James, so forgive me if that's true:  In
determining a category winner using Karen's system I would think you would
need to rank all of the entries in the category.  One judge's 1st place
could be another judge's last place (theoretically).  I see no reason why we
should not make public all of the rankings, all of the scores (both category
and total), and all of the comments.

Cheers,

Dave VanderWall
Minneapolis, MN, USA
where we don't use litres...
except when purchasing soda
:-)

p.s.  My ISP is apparently having problems accessing The Krib, so I have to
go with the digest which means I'm always a day or so behind the discussion.
:-(