Prizes and awards

Just wondering out loud here.

How much better will this event be if prizes are given in lieu of "ribbons"?
Do you think more people will be attracted to the event if we have prizes?
Do you think the overall quality of the event will be better? If the
overwhelming consensus of this group is that awarding actual prizes (as
compared to ribbons/certificates) will contribute to the overall success of
the event, then we should proceed with that idea.

However, unless there is a clear-cut consensus, I think we should step back
and take a VERY close look at the process. Our little group has had its
difficulties in the last month or so deciding on many issues. Through James'
leadership and the hard work of a few others, the group has been able to
move on, but not without its difficulties. We are now thinking about moving
on to the next step which I think is going to take a lot of coordination if
we are going to pull it off. If we get sponsors to donate prizes, someone
who knows what they are doing will need to approach each of the companies
and convince them that it will be a worthwhile venture for them. (Since I
have no experience along those lines, I have no idea how difficult something
like that is). Then the sponsors' donations will have to be assessed,
logistics of delivery discussed, follow-up letters written, possible
advertisements or other quid pro quo ideas discussed, etc. etc. This is
going to take a lot work and coordination. Plus, not just anyone will be
able to pull it off.

We need to ask ourselves whether we are really convinced that
donations/prizes from sponsoring companies will be worth the trouble and
will it enhance the overall quality of the event?  Maybe we should get this
inaugural contest/showcase going and think about such prizes next year after
we have worked out some of this year's wrinkles.  If nothing else, this year
we could award three year, two year, and one year AGA memberships to the
first, second and third place winners respectively. Or, we can charge a
nominal entry fee and use the proceeds to buy gift certificates from Pet
Warehouse, That Fish Place, Mail Order Pet Store, Pet Solutions, Tropica,
Dupla, etc. Such alternatives sure could cut down on a lot of the work and
complications. But, would it also lessen the overall success of the
event?????  I don't know. Any thoughts on this?

Ken Guin
Arlington, VA