Re: AGA CONTEST - Digest V1 #180

In keeping with our "new" Internet focus, I've done a bit of checking on the
price of cardboard mailing tubes here in Toronto. The most reasonable price
I can find for 2"X18" snap seal cardboard mailing tubes is $1.43 each,
minimum of 50. The price goes down to 95 cents each if 100 are ordered. - I
doubt that we would need 100, but we would need one for each award which was
to be mailed. (Kinda pricey..., more than the cost of postage.) But how else
could we get Certificates to people in an undamaged fashion other than using
mailing tubes???

Of course, we _could_ follow thru on the "Internet" focus completely, and
simply e-mail Adobe PDF files to the winners, with instructions for them to
print them out on their own computers. Adobe Acrobat is free and avaialbe
for most operating systems. The only ones I can think of who would get
frozen out by this would be those who do not have access to either computers
or printers.

So, alternatives are suggested - so far, we have:

1. Ribbons - Cost, per Karen, is approximately $200.00 + suitable shipping
container + postage
2. Certificates - Cost - 1or 2 packages of high quality paper + ink
cartridges + suitable shipping container + postage

(Sounds like 1 & 2 would end up costing approximately the same, as Ink Jet
cartridges can be pricey, especially for the Color one.)

3. Nothing mailed out at all. All "Awards" are Certificates in Adobe PDF and
e-mailed to the winners, to be printed out on their own printers. If anyone
who does not have an e-mail address, or who cannot receive "attachments"
(they use a computer at work), we _would_ have to mail something.

4. Forego "Awards" altogether. This is supposed to be more for "fun" and
"sharing" than it is about "winning" or "losing". We could simply publish
the names of the Winners on the Web-site and leave it at that.

Now, #4 would cost us _nothing_ as far as money goes, and _everyone_ would
be treated identically (non-internet and internet capable). It was suggested
very early on that we could notify people of the URL of the Web-site and
advise that is where the winners will be announced, and we could also give
instructions on how they could obtain a copy of TAG with the names of the
winners if they are not AGA members, where the winners would also be
announced.

Thoughts, anyone?