Re: Prizes & Shipping

> I think if Eheim is going to give us a filter we can probably get some
other
> prizes, too.  Like Erik suggested, we could try for certificates and
books.

I _hope_ that we can get a filter from Eheim - but I'm not guaranteeing
anything. A lot depends upon how we contact tham and how we present
ourselves.

Gift Certificates would definately be easier to deal with and might be more
appreciated by some more experienced hobbyists, as a lot of us have most of
the equipment we need (same goes for books). A Gift Certificate would allow
the winners to choose their _own_ prize and with our Internet focus we could
ask any of the companies which do mail order business (Arizona Aquatic
Gardens, That Fish Place, Pet Warehouse, etc.). The downside, if there is
one to GC, is that the winner would have to pay for shipping, as I doubt
that the companies would apply the value of the Certificate to anything
other than merchandise.

On the subject of asking for prizes, it has been suggested by several people
the when the companies are contacted they are provided with the Categories
the contest will have and we give the companies the choice of which one they
would like to sponsor. What happens if more than one company wants to
sponsor a particular category and other categories get no voluntary
sponsors??? We could have a bidding war on our hands, or potentially tick
off companies when we tell them that their choice is no longer available.

My comments on the previously posted shipping estimates were not a knock -
the work is appreciated, but we don't know yet how much things will weigh.
The average of 3 lbs. might be fine for small items (which is what we will
probably end up getting). Just as long as both we and the AGA MC realizes
that it is an _estimate_ only.