Re: Ken's queries

Ken G. had some questions:

>1. Would it be reasonable to allow personal checks instead of "certified"
>checks? Since the fee is only $5, I don't think we would get too many
checks
>with insufficient funds. I am just trying to save entrants from having to
go
>to the bank or post office.

mmmm..... I guess that would be up to the AGA treasurer. Karen has told me
that VISA is not an option, due to the merchant's charge that gets applied.
I just don't want to have to go chasing after anyone due to a bounced
cheque..... I've done that sort of work for a living and it isn't pleasant.

But, this section would of course be subject to modification, to fall into
line with AGA fiscal policy, as set by the MC.

>2. I am not quite clear about the judging. From the way you have it now, I
>believe the judges score each of the entries and then turn those scores
over
>to the organizing committee. Then the organizing committee collates the
>scores and then the judges make the final rankings? Do I have that right?
If
>so, why does the organizing committee have to send it back to the judges?
>Why not let the organizing committee do the final rankings? Basically, all
>they have to do is tally the judges' scores.

mmmmmm..... remember that while detailed, the appendices have to be
"general" as well... what is not outlined in the appendix referred to are
things which Erik and I discussed concerning how this will/can be handled to
minimize errors and work.... as I understand it, Erik will be setting up a
secure web-site for the judges, and this will have the facility for the
judges to enter their scores for the individual entrys.... it is my
understanding that Erik will be able to do some custom coding which will
take the entered scores, collate them and compare them to the scores from
the other judges and for the other entrys and then present the final tallys
without further human intervention. Each judge will have a password and be
able to enter and correct his OWN scores but not those of any other judges,
and the public will have NO access to this site. Erik seemed sure that he
could whip something up to accomplish this, but has no plans to do so until
AGA MC approval is obtained (I don't blame him, he's busy enough already).

So, by saying in the appendix that the judges scores are turned over the the
committee and the committee will do the adding and dividing - it makes no
real difference if this is done by hand or automatically by a computer
program written by Erik. The awarding of prizes IS still done by the judges,
after all.

Anyone else think that this is confusing and/or in need of clarification?

Good points Ken, thanks...

James Purchase
toronto