Re: Comments from Judges

Dave Engle asked:

> I forget whether or not we settled this...  Are the judges going to
comment
> on each tank?  And will those comments be public or private?

The Judges will be asked (not required, just asked) to provide comments on
each tank in the Contest portion in the event (not on those merely entered
in the Showcase). The extent and depth of this comment is entirely up to the
individual Judges. I see it as being one of the most valuable things that an
entrant can receive - an honest critique of his/her efforts by someone
generally considered pretty good at aquascaping (I hesitate at this point in
time to use the word "expert"..... that would just open up a can of worms).
By having multiple Judges supplying feelback and comments, hopefully we can
provide a balanced and well rounded assessment of entrant's efforts. This of
course supposes that the Judges are not all clones of one another and do
represent a range of opinions.

This is going to be a difficult task for the Judges and could be painful for
some entrants to read, but honest and objective criticism is the only way to
advance in any endeavour beyond a certain level.

With regards to the exchange you posted from USENET, it is no wonder that I
only lightly peruse the newsgroups now..... anarchy rules.

If you see someone who has a question regarding the event, please refer them
to showcase@aquatic-gardeners.org and either Erik or I will answer their
question, hopefully in a manner more pleasant than "Datamind". It isn't our
place to prescreen someone's aquascape nor to discourage _anyone_ from
submitting an entry.