Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 09:10:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Erik Olson <erik@thekrib.com>
To: *******
Subject: Re: Your Natural/Biotope entry

Lake Tanganyika is a very tough biotope to do with plants.  Even the
Bolbitis fern is not strictly correct, because it lives in the west
african river environment.  From the pictures and video I've seen, it's
basically rocks, rocks and more rocks, with occasional scrubby grass like
Vallisneria aethiopica.

But here's the interesting thing.  The other category isn't "Planted
Tank", it's "Aquatic Garden", which is (IMHO) different than "planted
tank".  At least some of the planners saw the division between manicured
and orderly-arranged "garden-like" tanks (in fact, though nobody has taken
us up on it, nowhere does it say you have to have plants in a garden!),
and tanks made to look natural, like you would have come upon them in the
wild.  In that sense, your entry is perfectly reasonable in the
category (though it'd get docked for points for the selection of plants
and materials).  I will forward your mail to the planner list too (with
names filed off, because we have judges there).

I suppose there's always the "artificial" category too, which really
should have been classified as "other". :)

You have no idea of the vast difference in competition between the aquatic
garden and other categories... you will be very amused come November. :)

  - Erik