Plaque alternative

Over the weekend, I was shown a plaque that one of my friends received last
year for some public service work that he did. The plaque was produced
locally here in Toronto and is approximately the same size as those from
Plaquemaker.com. The main difference is that rather than being printed using
a sublimiation process onto a sheet of metal, this plaque takes something
printed on an 8 x 10 sheet of paper, trims it to size and then thee paper is
laminated to the plaque. This would allow anything which can be put onto a
piece of paper to end up on the plaque. The plaque was VERY classy.

I have just bought a new printer - a HP Deskjet 952c and I've been playing
with printing out photographs using HP photo paper. the results, at 2400
dpi, are nothing short of amazing. I honestly _can't_ tell the difference
between an image printed out on this printer/paper combination and a color
print produced in a darkroom (and I worked as a photographer for a number of
years). The main difference is permanance of the image (years as opposed to
decades or centuries). This can be partially corrected by using a UV
absorbing overcoat (which is available for the plaque).

What I'm thinking is that for the Best of Show and People's Choice awards,
rather than just a black ink on metal product that we have no control over
text placement (Plaquemaker.com), I could easily do up a layout using MS
Publisher and dropping in a photograph of the winner's aquascape and then
printing it out here and having it mounted on a plaque.

This would give me total control over how this would look and and should
cost no more money. Other points would be the ability to do it in full color
and to actually have the person's aquascape as part of the actual award.

Any thoughts?

James