update

Hi folks,

Just getting over yet another bout of "Spring Flu", so I've been out of
touch for a bit.

Dave V., I received your "initial contact" letter designed to be sent out to
clubs and societies and like the idea of confirming the information for such
groups. Getting in touch with hobbyists at the grass roots level such as
this can be very helpful. I have taken the liberty of editing your rough
draft to highlight the AGA as the overall organization and slim down the
message. I don't think we need go into too many details in the "initial
contact". This sort of contact letter should probably be sent as plain text
(as opposed to rich text or HTML) to ensure that as many of the recipients
as possible can read it (no need for a fancy computer or up to the minute
software). I do have a copy done as a MS Word document, which DOES have the
fancy formatting, and  will send it to you separately.

You also mentioned that you have a database or some sort listing clubs and
organizations. What is this done in (i.e. is it a spreadsheet file or a
database)? I used MS Excel for the vendor contact information 2 years ago
and found that I could keep track of everything using it. It is important
that whatever format the information is kept in, several things be
remembered - it should be a format that is widely accesible to others -
spreadsheet software is common and can usually read and import files
prepared in other spreadsheets, but a real database (i.e. Access or Paradox)
requires that anyone wanting to access the information has a copy of the DB
software. I would prefer that any lists we prepare are in as generic a
format as possible so that their future use by the AGA is without problems.
Also, you should make sure to keep both a local backup and send a copy to
Erik on a regular basis as insurance against computer glitches. I think I
was sending Erik a "fresh copy" for archiving every month (or whenever major
changes had been made). Each should be numbered sequentially so that we can
see how the data was at a particular time, should that be necessary. This
"listing" could be of use for both the Contest and the Convention, as well
as the the AGA itself, so how it is set up and the info recorded should be
carefully considered.

Here is the contact message. It can be simply "cut and pasted":

Dear <name>

The Aquatic Gardeners Association is an international organization of
aquatic plant enthusiasts dedicated to increasing the interest in and
knowledge of aquatic plants and their maintenance in aquariums and garden
ponds. The AGA produces a bi-monthly journal called The Aquatic Gardener and
maintains a web site at http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/.

Each year, the AGA holds two major events:
·       the AGA International Aquascaping Contest, a web based showcase of
planted
and aquascaped aquariums,
·       the AGA Conference, an opportunity for hobbyists to meet and hear other
enthusiasts and experts discuss all aspects of aquatic gardening. This
year's conference will be held in Houston, Texas in November.

Details of both these events may be found on the AGA web site.

It is quite possible that the members of your group will be interested in
one or both of these events and/or the organization itself. We are compiling
a listing of as many hobbyist groups and societies as possible in order to
let them know of our efforts and to encourage their participation. We would
be happy to send you promotional material for these events for distribution
to your members. Please confirm the correct contact person for your group
(name and email address).

The aquarium hobby has always been based upon the sharing of our mutual
interests. We would like to encourage the members of your group to join us
and further the appreciation of aquariums and aquatic gardening.

If you have any questions, please get in touch with us.

Yours truly,

Dave VanderWall
Member, Aquatic Gardeners Association
Minneapolis, MN, USA