Re: [AGA Contest] Re: more biotopes

Just as a thought, aquascaping and biotope aquariums do not have to be so conflicting.

A biotope aquarium can also be thoughtfully aquascaped. Many natural underwater scenes are actually much more beautiful than most people would believe. There are lakes in south Florida with shores covered in lush rolling mounds of a Hemianthus sp, piles of rocks, spikes of hairgrass, and Ludwigia repens.

It is not the problem with the biotope category itself --the problem is the level of the biotope hobby in the country. People are still figuring out what makes a biotope rather than worrying how to make it look aesthetic and 'natural'.

The Dutch seem to have a good hang of it:
http://www.nbat.nl/aquarium4/keuringspec/keur_spec03.html

I believe one of them, Nanne de Vos, actually placed in the top ten of the first ADA contest with a very aesthetically pleasing West/Central African River biotope.

I think this is an area that should be worked on rather than discarded. I believe the same judging guidelines STILL apply to these tanks. Only because all the animals/plants have to come from a certain location doesn't mean the tank can't be beautifully aquascaped. That does not make any sense.

Carlos