Re: [AGA Contest] judge scoring...

On Friday 21 May 2004 11:50, you wrote:

> Figures -- it's just me. But that is extraordinary when you
> think about it. With all the noise each year over how the
> judging occurs and how it should have occurred, no one
> considers how the scores might actually matter -- they
> assume, like voters in federal elections that a vote is a
> vote and a winner is a winner and it's only the subjective
> valuation of the voter that makes a diff.

I understand that our experience in the 2002 contest was not unique.  In one
case two judges scored an entry so that it was at or near the top of the
category and a third judge scored the same entry so that it was near the
bottom of the category.  When the judge's ranks were averaged the entry was
not in the top 3 -- despite the fact that 2 out of 3 judges believed the
entry was one of the best in the category.

I suggested afterwords that the scores should be averaged using a harmonic
mean rather than an arithmetic mean.  That way if one judge decides to give a
low score to an entry the low score is underweighted in the final decision.
I think this is a good choice because -- as Erik pointed out -- the low
scores contain a lot of noise.  Low scores probably should not be equally
weighted, which they are when using an arithmetic mean.   It also might help
avoid having a judge (or judges) feel like a strongly-held opinion has been
ignored.  I think most judges are going to have stronger opinions about the
entries they award high scores than they do about the entry they award low
scores.

Now I'm renewing that suggestion.  I think the judge's ranks should be
combined using an harmonic mean.  That is a detail that can be changed in the
procedure even without changing the documentation.

Roger