Re: [AGA Contest] judge scoring...

On Sunday 23 May 2004 07:43, you wrote:

> I think it's important to use the raw scores of each tank in their
> placement calculation rather than a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, ranking.

Phil, I *really* can't support this; the final standing needs to be
determined from the judge's rankings not from the raw scores.  I haven't seen
other judges' scores but I will guess that the inconsistency in scoring is
far too large for that to work.   A judge can be very careful about awarding
internally consistent scores but there is nothing he or she can do to be sure
their scoring scale is consistent with someone else's scoring scale.  One
judge might award scores to a mid-level entry that are as high as the scores
another judge gives to the best entry.

> Given a sufficient number of judges
> any ties should work themselves out, even if it's in the area of a 0.1
> point difference.  With the increased quality of the aquascapes this
> becomes more and more important, in my opinion.

There are a few different ways around ties.  The ultimate tie breaker lies
with the contest administrator.

I'm not sure that increasing quality in the aquascapes makes ties more
likely.  Increasing quality doesn't necessarily imply increasing similarity.

Roger