[AGA-Contest] Fun Historical Data on Contest Prizes

On Wed, 25 May 2005, Phil Edwards wrote:

My only other concern is getting the prizes to people. I've never done this kind of thing before. Should we have the items shipped to one receiver who then sends them to the recipients (at a possibly huge international freight rate) or would it work to have someone call the donators with the recipient's info and have them ship it? I'd prefer the latter, but how keen do you think the donors would be with that?

We have actually attempted all this, once, the first year. And we did "both" methods. Unfortunately, both methods were a complete disaster. The person who collected all the prizes from the manufacturers had a series of unfortunate events, which he has never properly explained but which involved a mentally unstable relative, that culminated in a fire in his apartment and the prizes being held as police evidence. I learned much later that no prizes had been sent to the winners! Thankfully, none of the winners ever complained.

Actually, the only winner who ever complained that year was the grand prize winner, one Frode Roe. And it was his prize, a 72-gallon bowfront, that got passed on to me to handle, and ironically was the only one actually delivered. In this case, All-Glass arranged to have the prize delivered to the winner's nearest all-glass retailer, with the caveat that it was in the US. Frode, being outside of the US, did not qualify, so he authorized us (me) to sell the tank on E-Bay and send him the money in cash. So I did this, nearly 6 months after the contest and when James had gone AWOL. The auction brought in more money than the tank cost retail, and with a few bits of wrassling with the All-Glass rep, the tank made it to its happy owner. I sent off a check drawn on a foreign bank for Frode. Nothing. He never got it. Kept bugging me every month "where's my money?" Nothing. Eventually Kathy got in touch with our bank, we stopped payment on the check (at a hefty fee) and David Lass (treasurer at the time) either wired the money or sent him a replacement (can never remember). It took OVER A YEAR to get this settled, and I swore I'd never do it again.

I have had good luck with more reliable people receiving the prizes (i.e., me and the convention organizer du year) and sending them with the ribbons. I've had good luck by not having too many prizes. And I've had good luck by subbing different prizes based on whether the winner is in the US or not. So I'd be careful about tying the ACTUAL prize to a particular category...