[AGA-Contest] [121] contest entry autopsy 2006

So it's after midnight here, and it's 121 entries possible.
The final number will probably go down as there are 2-3 questionable
entries, but not too shabby considering the total lack of PR.  I guess
cash IS a major motivator. :(

Almost nobody using postal mail this year.  Two personal checks, one bank
draft, and $20 in cash.  I think I scanned in only one entry, and one
other person sent a CD-ROM.  So that's great.  I prefer not having the
giant stack of papers of previous contests.

Several entries still without photo releases.  One thing I did different
this year is I sent no reminders until after the contest closed, i.e.,
just now.  I had no time to track this stuff.  So it will be interesting
to see how well the stragglers are motivated by the spectre of humiliation
by the "censor judge" picture [or more appropriately, her 2006
equivalent].  It worked pretty nicely last year on a few guys who ignored
the e-mails; about half signed the release once the site went live.  I am
wondering if it will help reduce the problem to begin with now.

Likewise, there still continue to be folks who don't follow the directions
on the photo release, sending a Word document with everything printed
(complete with the original instructions "Do not send a WORD Document"
included in the document!), or just a signature, or even just the photos
themselves.  Still others are completionists and send a separate release
for each photo.  And there's some folks that sent e-mails AND faxes.  I've
gotten used to sending quick firm replies to the ones lacking, and
eventually everyone's getting it.  I think NEXT year (if I continue to do
the technical work on this contest; or if not, for whoever takes this job
on) it might make sense to modify the program to let them upload the photo
release directly to the entry as another picture that doesn't show up in
the contest.  Maybe.  It's working about as well as to be expected.

There are the usual one-off oddities in the entries themselves.  Most
interesting is that someone has done a topiary swan with bogwood and moss,
and in one of their photos has actually photoshopped in a real swan to
show you what they're thinking, just in case you don't get it.  Another
entry has a picture of the aquarist's wife/daughter/sister changing the
tank (I removed the name).  A couple of folks have their name burned in &
we'll have to get them to remove them or photoshop them out.  One person
didn't upload their photos to the site, but instead to a free
"photobucket-type" site, and inlined the images in the comments... No big
deal.  A challenge to the tech geek.  As I say, just one-offs.

But every year there seems to be a recurring "grr" that seems to happen
systematically across many entries.  Last year it was all these folks
mailing 10 photos, or a photo collage of 25 tiny images posing as one.
This year it definitely is UNNECESSARY FRAMES!  I can understand the raw
photos from the camera being uploaded uncropped, but lots of people are
uploading photos with large black bars around the photos, or a large black
bar and a small white bar.  I will be hand-cropping each of these, as they
just make the final image harder to see.