[AGA-Contest] Hong Kong Connection

Got it covered... she wrote to me directly.

"Dear Joyce,

I have to say that you have given me an enjoyable half an hour in the middle
of the day!  You may or may not know that I judge both the AGA and ADA
contests each year. (as well as occasional smaller contests)  In the course
of judging, I see, literally, hundreds of aquascapes each year.  The level
of aquascaping world-wide has increased to a very high standard over the
past few years, and it takes a really outstanding aquascape to stick in my
mind months, or even years, later.  I have no idea who the participants are,
or where they are from when I am doing the judging.  Though, of course, I
eventually see the results, I don't always remember the names as well as I
remember the aquascapes.

For this reason, I didn't quite know what to expect when I logged onto the
Creative Aquascape Union website.  I was so pleased to see some of my
all-time favorite aquascapes among those presented there.  The first that I
must comment on is Dave Chow's "Ashy Range". This is a very bold design, and
easily recognizable; the achievement of having this tank win both the AGA
and ADA contests speaks for itself.  His "Vernal Equinox" is also a very
strong design.  Cliff Hui's "Field of Dreams" is another that was instantly
recognizable to me, and a tank that attracts my eye as much now as when I
first judged it.  Justin Law is a name we, at AGA, have come to respect as
another force in aquascaping... particularly in small tanks.  His "Secret
Garden" and "Summer Dance" are both gems.  And these are not the only
winners among the group!!!

Having looked through the CAU website, it is clear there is a tremendous
amount of talent in the group, as well as skill.  As the basics of
aquascaping have become better understood, I often see tanks that are well
balanced, skillfully trimmed and beautifully maintained, but feel
"mechanical", or lacking in ingenuity.  It is wonderful to see a group that
has the basic skills down cold, and is able to then be daring and creative
in their work.

The Aquatic Gardeners Association is an international organization for those
who enjoy aquarium plants and planted aquaria.  We publish a high quality
full color journal quarterly.  Our 2008 contest is currently open for
entries, and our next convention will be held in Atlanta, Georgia, November
14-16.  For more information on membership or on these events, please visit
our website at: www.aquatic-gardeners.org

Thank you!

Best regards,

Karen Randall
Technical Editor
The Aquatic Gardener"

> From: Joyce KS Siu
> To: "showcase@aquatic-gardeners.org"
> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 00:02:22 +0800
> Subject: Attn: Bailin Shaw (about aquascapers from Hong Kong)
>
> Dear Mr Shaw,
>
> This is Joyce from the Features of the South China Morning Post, a
newspaper from Hong Kong.

> I'm working on an article about the aquascapers in Hong Kong, with most of
them are from an aquascape community called Creative Aquascape Union
(http://www.cau-aqua.net/index.php?lang=en)

> Many of the members will join this year's 2008 AGA International
Aquascaping Contest. Some did quite well in the previous year such as Dave
Chow who is the winner for Best of the Show for 2007 and Justin Law, winner
of the same title in 2006.

> I was wondering if it's possible for you to shed some light about the
works of Hong Kong aquascapers such as quality of their works and do you
find if there's any characteristics among the aquascapes  created by Hong
Kong people and how're they different from other cities or countries.

> Thanks so much for your help. If possible, do you think it's possible for
you to send me your comments on Wednesday?