Re: New to list

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Jennifer wrote:

> I am planning on attending the conference in November and
> just wanted to hear some info on it.

Well, most of the information is what's available in the brochure on the
website http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org

Some of the aspects of the convention are similar to last year's: it's
three days (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) at the Chattanooga aquarium, which
is one of the best freshwater aquariums in the US.  There'll probably be
ample time to poke around over the 3 days. Last year we had free admission
to the aquarium for the whole weekend (I went back something like 4
times!).

If you've ever been to a fish convention before, this one's a little
different but does have some similarities: Banquet is Friday night rather
than the traditional Saturday; so it's more of a "get acquainted" meal.
Saturday day is basically all talks, with short break for meals, and then
rush back to the hotel for plant auction.  Then Sunday morning is a
workshop with Amano.

I have not heard any of the speakers before, so that will be interesting.
I am especially curious about Amano, because of his reputation (and that
he speaks no English), and Tom Barr. I am guessing we might have some
interesting plant specimens because now people "know" about the plant
auction.

Somewhere in there (I don't know exactly where) will be presentations of
the showcase winners, and probably some door prizes to be given out.
Maybe this will be part of the vendor room.

The best thing about last year was getting to meet so many people I've
only "read" on the 'net before.

  - Erik

--
Erik Olson