RE: Botanical Illustration

"Sounds very interesting.  With the subject being the
"botanical illustration", I suppose you judge them first by
the accuracy rather than the artistic value of the painting?
This can make a big difference from an artist's point of
view."

Err, I suppose so <g>

Actually, I haven't gotten to that point in my thinking yet - I merely want
to know what people think of the idea and if we would be likely to see any
entries. A botanical illustration is only of scientific value if it is
accurate, so I suppose that would have to be the prime quality looked at.
But given "artistic license and freedom", there can be a wide range of
results possible - that is where the "ART" comes into it and how WELL an
illustration conveys the nature of the plant is more art than science.

James Purchase
Toronto