Re: [AGA Member] Beginners Corner

I like to use raw chems for the macronutrients:

KNO3, K2SO4, KH2PO4.  I get them light manufacturing
(www.litemanu.com)

KNO3 Potassium NItrate added for N- 1/2-3/4 tsp / 100 gal.s
K2SO4 Potassium Sulfate added for K - 1 tsp / 100 gal.
KH2PO4 Potassium Phosphate added for P- 1/32 tsp per 100
gal

I apply the K once per week, right after a 50% water
change.  I apply the N the same way.  I apply the PO4 right
after a water change and once or twice more during the
week.

All these doses need to be adjusted, aiming for levels of
PO4 - about 0.5 - 1.0 ppm
NO3 - about 5 - 10 ppm
K you don't need to worry about if you're dosing at these
levels and doing the water changes.  These levels are
intended for high lighting levels and CO2 levels around
15-20 ppm

For micromutrients, I add Flourish or TMG, about 25-30
ml/100 gal right after a water change and twice more during
the week.  BigAl'sonline.com is great source for TMG, about
half what others charge and about half-off again if you get
the jumbo size.

There is virtually nothing in my water out of the tap so I
don't consider any chem levels already in the tap water.  I
find with lots of fish (fish food), I don't need to add N
but still need to add P.

If you don't do water changes, or do much smaller or less
frequent ones, you will need to adjust accordingly.

Fertilize to get your plants growing well -- stock the tank
heavily right form the beginning.

There are other regimens that others follow successfully.

Hope that helps,
Scott H.