[AGA Member] Aquascaping Contest Photo Resolution

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, Daniel Larsson wrote:

> > Context?  Is this for entering or viewing?  And are you talking about the
> > AGA Aquascaping contest?
>
> For entering the AGA Aquascaping contest, yes.

Great!  Here is what I would suggest for entering photographs:

Take the HIGHEST resolution you possibly can.  If you are using a digital
camera, set it to the highest setting.  If you are using good old analog
film, send us the negatives or slides (I have a very good quality scanner
for this purpose, and I *will* return all negatives or slides if you
include a return envelope).

Note, though, that if your camera takes only low resolution, do NOT blow
it up to a higher resoluton in PhotoShop.  Some folks did this last year
thinking that it improves things... in reality (as opposed to Star Trek
where they do this all the time!), you cannot create resolution where it
didn't exist to begin with, and all you end up with is at best an
out-of-focus picture.

The contest program itself actually rescales the photographs down to the
various display and thumbnail resolutions (as well as burns in the
copyright notice).  Thus, it's ideal to have the highest res originals to
feed into this program.

Hope this helps,

  - Erik

--