RE: [AGA Member] Re: Aquarium Planning -- or - Yes, we have no diffuser

--- Nathan Freedenberg <gnatster@comcast.net> wrote:
> . . . Due to the size tank and desired placement of the
> diffuser/reactor in the sump a larger unit is required.
> My searches
> through many sources seem to bear that one of the larger
> reactors, such
> that Robert has available on his site will suit my needs.
> One could
> liken the diffuser/reactor convention much like the
> reefers protein
> skimmer/foam fractionator semantics.

It's not semantics, unless mby that you mean different
words for different things ;-) "Diffuser" if generally used
to refer to "airstones" used to inject CO2. They are
usually designed to create very fine bubbles to increase
surface exposure. "Reactor" is genreally used for an
enclosed chamber into which water and some other chemical
are introduced and allowed to mix before the water is
extracted.  A CO2 reactor, in operation, has continuous
inflow of water and CO2 and with the CO2-enriched water
leaving the bottom of the reactor. You can think of it as a
box or cyclinder with  water entering at the top, exiting
at the bottom and CO2 fed into it. Bioballs, or any other
partial obstruction is used to spread the current in the
reactor to maximize exposure time and prevent CO2 bubbles
form being washed out the bottom of the reactor.

For a CO2 reactor, also consider this for a few bucks and a
little time:

http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/co2reactor.htm

You can increase the diameter or length if you feel the
need for very large aquaria but this unit should be good
for most aquaria 75 gallons or less.

Feed it with the output from any pump or filter or with the
intake from a canister filter.

Good luck, good fun,
Scott H.

=====