RE: [AGA Member] Aquarium Planning -- or - Have a nice trip, not a shocking one

The danger probably is neither worse nor better othan using
a 110-120V tube heater. Somewhat different possibilities of
exposing wires -- with tube heaters it's cracking the
glass; with cables, it's cutting the insulation. I wouldn't
hazard a guess over which has a higher probability.

In either case you absolutely should have them plug into a
GFCI, which should trip in the event that a current
carrying wire is exposed to the water. And a ground probe
wouldn't be a bad idea either; it would offer current an
alternate path to ground during the 25/1000 of a second
that it takes the GFCI to trip.

Scott H.
--- Nathan Freedenberg <gnatster@comcast.net> wrote:

> My fear is the "affordable" system from Aquarium
> Landscapes is 110v. I
> have been shocked by tanks before by malfunctioning power
> heads and it
> is not pretty. The Dupla system is 24v, in the event of a
> failure the
> Dupla system would only knock back to the couch while the
> 110v system
> would send me over the couch. A grounding rod in the tank
> will be some
> help.
>
> Thanks
>
> Nathan