[AGA Member] Grey Algae in Java Moss

I have a 90 gallon heavily planted 21/2 year old tank with little, if any, algae (just a few hard green spots on old broad leaves). I need to scrape the glass perhaps once a month. However, Java Moss  planted on some driftwood, among anubias, has developed a grey like mass growing throughout only the moss. It grows in small masses nowhere else but the moss. It does not impede the growth of the moss but is unsightly to my eye but not really noticable unless you get up close. I tried algaefix but it has no effect on this algae (I'm assuming it is an algae). I have removed the moss down to thestrands adhering strongly to the wood. As soon as it grows back the grey masses appear again. I can find no reference to it in any of the literature. Does anyone have an idea what it may be and what, if anything, can be done.