RE: [AGA Member] Planted Tank Room- Central Filtration

------
Educate me, please.  What's the advantage over just using a
valves between main pump and each tank on an ordianry
overflow sump system?  The tank will get no fulluler than
the overflow and the rate or turnover in each tank is
controlled by the valve. Any one or more can be taken off
line without taking the others off.

Is the point to have a holding tank for water to age?  Why
not have the holding tank release directly into the sump?
------

In the system Moe laid out, each tank is fed from the overhead reservoir;
each has it own feed line, with valve. Adjustments on Tank A have no bearing
on the flow into any other tank.

  "The gravity flow to each tank allows precise regulation into that tank
without any effect on the established flow rates into every other tank. Thus
I can open a valve wide to fill a tank, or shut off flow to a tank
completely for treatment or cleaning, and every other tank in the system
maintains it's established set flow, whether it is a drip exchange or a
major inflow"

Moe Jr., Martin A. Breeding the Orchid Dottyback, An Aquarists Journal. 1997
Green Turtle Press Plantation FL. Pg 20

Page 22 of same has a drawing of such a setup. I only have one of those all
in 1 Printer-Fax-Dishwasher-Scanner dohicky's  and I'm not about to rip out
the page to scan it. In this case a picture really is worth 1000 words

Having worked with systems where a manifold directly connected to the pump
is used to distribute water to each tank I know all to well that it becomes
a very tedious balancing act,  especially in long runs with many valves.

Hope that helps,

gnatster