RE: [AGA Member] Bacterial algea?

If all else fails (water changes, light balance, nutrient balance etc.- and socalled blue-green algae has a habit of returning if the least little bit is left in the tank) try to locate a product called Healthguard by Seachem. Use a little every day for a week or so and this pernicious "algae" will dissappear. Then use it once a week until you are sure it is gone. The product is actually a pond product that acts to protect fish from certain diseases. It is good for the fish and absolutely does not harm plants.
I found mention of it in one of the reference books,(possibly Teapot?). I had the foul mess once in a new tank setup and after tiring of dealing with it weekly checked all the references until I found the Healthguard mentioned.
-----Original Message-----
From: S. Hieber [mailto:shieber@yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2004 8:44 PM
To: aga-member@thekrib.com
Subject: Re: [AGA Member] Bacterial algea?

Kind bluish green -- dark in color?

The distinctive odor is a tell tale sign, along with the
slimy feel and the way it sort of coats things and you wipe
off or lift the film. So-called blue-green algae, which is
actually cynaocteria. Not bacterium either, in a group of
it's own.

Clean up what yo can. Get your nutrients in balance;
regular water changes, then you ought to see it recede.

sh

--- MotomanBarton@aol.com wrote:
> I have this algea that seems to stay preety low in the
> tank growing on the
> gravel on the glass and a lil on the plants, it also
> seems to be growing on the
>  spray bar outlet holes. It kinda grows as a sheet almost
> slimy and it kinda
> smells what kind of algea is this and any suggestions on
> how to get rid of
> it?  My tank was doing great, plants where growing well
> but i missed a couple
> watter  changes cause i was away and this is what
> happened. Any  suggestions?

> multipart/alternative
>   text/html
> ---
> message.  Archives of
>  this list can be found at
> http://lists.thekrib.com/aga-member/

=====
S. Hieber
Aquascaping by Takashi Amano and more at
the AGA 2004 Annual Convention
Nov 12, 13 & 14; Marriott Crystal Gateway, Arlington, Virginia, USA
Aquatic Gardeners Association www.aquatic-gardeners.org