RE: [AGA Member] how many wpg is the sunlight?

Sunscreen 100 anyone?

sh
--- roger <roger@spinn.net> wrote:
> Years ago I figured out that I would need to rack 20
> 40-watt flourescent
> lights over my 55 gallon tank to get sunlight-like
> intensities.  I may have
> been optimistic.
>
> Phil gave us an average of about 80 watts/square foot for
> Amazon sunlight.  My
> CRC Handbook says that for light distributed over the
> visible range (almost
> like sunlight) there would be 200 lumen/watt.  Phil's 80
> watts/square foot
> would then be 16000 lumens/square foot.
>
> Light fixtures aren't often very efficient.  Say we have
> a reflector that can
> put 2/3 of the lumen produced onto the water surface.
> That means to get 16000
> lumens/square foot on the water surface I would need to
> start with 24000
> lumens of lighting per foot.  40 watt daylight bulbs
> (also according to CRC)
> have an efficacy of about 65 lumens/nominal watt under
> average conditions.  To
> get 24000 lumens/square foot I would need (rounding down)
> 360 watts of
> daylight flourescents per square foot; for a 55 gallon
> tank with about 4
> square feet of surface area that means 1440 watts or 36
> lamps -- 26
> watts/nominal gallon.
>
> It's no wonder that when sunlight falls on my 55 gallon
> tank I can't even tell
> that the tank lights are on.

=====
AGA 2004 Annual Convention
Designing The Nature Aquarium -- demonstrated by Takashi Amano
Paludarium design  -- Mike Senske
Planted Aquarium Ecology  -- Diana Walstad
Cryptocorynes -- Jan D. Bastmeijer
Field Trip, workshops and more, Nov 12, 13 & 14;
Marriott Crystal Gateway, Arlington, VA, USA
Details & Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org  & www.gwapa.org