Re: [AGA Member] a simple connection -- or - it's never really simple, is it?

Could be just a matter of the Eheim tubing being a metric
diameter and the Home Depot stuff being, well, you know,
that other system. Depending on your Eheim model, the
intake is probably 12mm (0.47 inches) or 16mm (0.63
inches). I'll bet you're working with 1/2" fittings and the
larger Eheim 594 tubing that is 16mm ID.

Fix 1)
You might need to get a straight barbed connector that fits
more tightly in the Eheim tubing (some have larger barbs
than others -- check out McMaster.com under Pipe FIttings,
Plastic, barbed-to-barbed) and then warm the end of 1/2"
tubing in hot water to soften it to be able to force it
over the connector. Then the 1/2" tubing can be fitted to
the CO2 reactor.

Fix 2)
Get a connector (e.g., Ehiem) that's made for the larger
Eheim diameter, then soften the end of 1/2" tubing to force
it over the connector, etc. The easiest to find are the
elbow connectors that come with the pump. Eheim vendors
will usually stock these parts. ThePEtPlace usually stocks
"Straight Connectors" for Eheim 394, 495, and 594 tubing --
here's the link for the one for 595 tubing

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/eheim/Class//T1/F27+0013+0028/Itemdy00.aspx

and for 494 tubing

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/eheim/Class//T1/F27+0013+0020/Itemdy00.aspx

Or you can cut a piece of straight rigid tubing from filter
intake-siphon tube that came with the filter and us that as
a connector.

Clamps are always a good idea but aren't a substitution for
a good tubing fit -- if the clamp is too tight too might,
you might crack the fitting.

Hope that's some help,
Scott H.
--- Bill Hudgens <billhudgens@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I got a CO2 diffuser unit that looks like a long cylinder
> with bio-balls inside.  The intake and output nozzles are
> at each end.  I boought some tubing and a clamp at Home
> Depot so that I could connect the output tube from my
> Eheim filter to the intake tube of the CO2 diffuser.  I
> am having a hard time getting a water proof connection at
> the intake connector of the Eheim filter.  Has anyone
> else had this problem?  The tubing for the filter looks
> slightly different from the tubing I bought at Home
> Depot.  There must be a simple solution.
>
> --B

> message.  Archives of
>  this list can be found at
> http://lists.thekrib.com/aga-member/

=====
Field Trip to the Baltimore Aquarium and The Aquarium Center
First event of the AGA Annual Convention Nov 12, 13 & 14;
Details & Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org  & www.gwapa.org