Re: [AGA Member] blue-green water

Sometimes the meds work on BGA -- although this isn't
usually a water clouding algae -- and sometimes they
disppoint as the culprit comes right back. And if you go
through a routine of diff meds, you can end up making
things worse by killing off some of the good bacteria and,
in turn, allowing NH4 to rise.

You can also try adding CO2 if you aren't doing that and
don't want to try a blackout. If you do a blackout, clean
what you can, do a 50% water change, turn off the lights
and CO2 and blanket the tank for 4 days. That will kill a
waterclouding algae bloom, even if it's a cyanobacterium.

Also, you can add some fast growing plant -- like floating
water sprite, which will help suck up excess N.

Don't expect anything to work "overnight", give up on it
and then try another thing and another thing, etc. It can
be harder to establish stability and balance if you change
around too many things. GW and bacterblooms usually come
with big change in conditions.

Unless the fishload is really high, or there aren't enough
plants, the kind of filtration isn't all that important

sh

--- rspahn@sackets-harbor-high.moric.org wrote:
> Hi, I've tried (with no success) diatoming it,
> algaeciding it and a
> treatment of eurymyacine.  The filters were literaly
> dying-s l o w i n g
> d o w n.  I now have two Fluval submersibles on the 55
> gl. tank.  I
> think I'll try Myarcine when I go back to the tank on Fri
> (the tank
> belongs to a customer of mine). Ray
> message.  Archives of
>  this list can be found at
> http://lists.thekrib.com/aga-member/

=====
Field Trip to the Baltimore Aquarium and The Aquarium Center
First event of the AGA Annual Convention Nov 12, 13 & 14;
Details & Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org  & www.gwapa.org