Re: [AGA Member] DIY yeast bottle cap glue toxicity?

Thanks! Very helpful. Wish I'd thought of asking ages ago!

S. Hieber wrote:

Don't know about Goop, but it probably has chemicals in it
to keep it plastic and pliable, which will continue to be
shed from the substance over time.

Try marine epoxy, it should hold fine and is not toxic once
it has cured. It cures very hard so it shouldn't "let go"
over time. As with all 2-part epoxy mixtures, keep it off
your skin while it is uncured. Tip: sand the plastic very
lightly with a fine grit sandpaper, like a 180, 220, or 400
grit wet-dry sandpaper, then rinse off off of dust and wipe
dry. This will increase the adhesion. You can get it at the
hardware store.

Silicone has low adhesion and it remains soft -- not a
great combination except for particular applications.

Scott H.
--- Heather J Gladney <hgladney@comcast.net> wrote:

How important is trace toxicity from glue securing
airline barbs in the caps of DIY yeast bottles?
I had several combined factors that may have killed 4 of
my bigger fish, such as pH and heater/room temp overheating, but also
using a different glue on the bottle caps for the new yeast batch.
I'd been using silicon before. The odd thing is, puttin
the new caps on a different tank, fish are fine.
I let the Outdoor Goop for 5 days, but it still had a
very faint plasticky odor. In a previous experiment with it on the
same tank, I'd let it outgas for more than 2 weeks, to no obvious ill
effects. My sister commented that Outdoor Goop is really toxic, she
thought there were warnings to parents about not letting children get
hold of it at any time. It isn't the same as the regular indoor Goop.
Goop was recommended on one of the other aquarium CO2
lists, but without specifying which type of Goop. It does hold the stem and
cap together really well. Normally I'd prefer the silicon, but over
several months I found silicon is not adhering to the plastic of the
bottle caps well enough to hold up when I'm banging bottles about
underneath the tank (as carefully as possible, but still!).
Should I try gluing the next batch of bottle caps wiht it
and let it air longer, or give up and go back to silicon? Silicon isn't
nearly as secure or solidly attached to the plastic.
I was also wondering if I could get away with gluing the
silicon first, then layering Outdoor Goop over it only on the outside,
or if I should go buy the regular Goop (not outdoor), or if I should do
the silicon then layering with the regular Goop.

Thanks!
message.  Archives of
this list can be found at
http://lists.thekrib.com/aga-member/

=====
Tired of filling that aquarium all the way to the top? Ready to try something a little different? Think less water, more options. Think paludarium.

Aquarium Design Group's Mike Senske raised paludariums to a whole other level. SEE Senske paludariums at

http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com/aquascapes/aquascapes_paludariums.htm

SEE the Senske submissons to the AGA Annual Aquascaping Contests at http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2004.cgi

HEAR and SEE Mike talk about paludarium design at The 5th AGA Annual Convention. Details/Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org & www.gwapa.org