Re: [AGA-Member] CO2 tank squealing!!

Yessir!! Will do!
Again, thanks very much!

Michael San Jose' wrote:

It CO2. It wont blow up. If you break what's called the valve stem. The whole top it becomes a rocket. Can't tell you how hi the pressure may be. There are high pressure steel tanks, standard aluminum, and I have even scene fiberglass wrapped super high pressure tanks. The list can go on for a while. Good for you for thinking quick also. Saved you from hearing the piercing sound until the tank emptied. So like I said don't be nervous its not nitro glycerin. It wont go boom. Remember tanks are made for people like plumbers who kick them around and drop them into the back of vans. And who knows how much more abuse.

You can wrap a towel around it or put it in like a Gym bag to carry it. Don't worry about it out in the cold van either. The only thing that may happen is it may leak a little if the safety disk is messed up if not nothing. It's a non flammable compressed gas. Now stop worrying and get to bed its late.
----- Original Message ----- From: Heather J Gladney<mailto:hgladney@comcast.net> To: Aquatic Gardeners Association Member Chat<mailto:aga-member@thekrib.com> Sent: Friday, February 04, 2005 1:05 AM
Subject: Re: [AGA-Member] CO2 tank squealing!!

Thanks, Mike--
How high would you like it to be??
Umm, I'm very proud of the fact I had the presence of mind to *close the valve*.
I'm still nervous about handling it enough to take the regulator off, and picking the tank up to take it out to the vehicle.
It's a van, we don't have a trunk to lock it into, so there's a definite risk if the main valve blows up.
However, we do have a means of strapping it down well enough that the gas guy approved it.

 Michael San Jose' wrote:

>Hi Heather this is Mike. The problem you are experiencing can be caused by a lot of things. How and to what pressure they filled it is usually the problem. You can overfill a tank without its burst disk going (tank safety pressure valve) but the regulators are set lower. I know this personally because I have overfilled a few tanks in my life. By the way how far did you jump or how fast did your heart race when it first occurred. Best bet is to take the tank back and ask them to check it and your regulator because if they did overfill the tank the safety valve on the reg may stay open.
> ----- Original Message ----- > From: Heather J Gladney<mailto:hgladney@comcast.net<mailto:hgladney@comcast.net>> > To: info@glass-gardens.com<mailto:info@glass-gardens.com<mailto:info@glass-gardens.com<mailto:info@glass-gardens.com>> ; Aquatic Gardener's Association<mailto:aga-member@thekrib.com<mailto:aga-member@thekrib.com>> > Sent: Friday, February 04, 2005 12:27 AM
> Subject: [AGA-Member] CO2 tank squealing!!
>

> Dear CO2 gurus:
> I have a gas tank question for anybody around tonight.
> I've got one of Troy's Milwaukee regulator/solenoid/bubble counter.
> I've had fairly good luck since I got it going--lots of algae due to > fertlizer issues, but tests were finding the pH/GH/CO2 okay.
> The CO2 tank went empty a few days ago.
> I just replaced the 10 lb tank tonight.
> They were storing their tanks outside, and it's been "frost on > windshields" weather around here for some time.
> I brought the tank inside, and hadn't had time to work on it until now, > since it's warmed up.
> I attached the regulator, filled up the bubble counter and attached the > CO2 airline, turned on the solenoid, and tried to open the main tank valve.
> Before any pressure shows on my the emergency release on it squeals > horribly, and shows no signs of stopping after letting it howl for at > least a minute about five times.
> I'm thinking this may be an overfilled tank, or a malfunctioning one, or > there may be a blockage in the regulator.
> I'm also not sure if this is "dangerously overfilled", get it back out > in the garage NOW, or if there's just something blocking the regulator, > and what I should try.
> I would like to talk to you first, as Airgas won't be open until > tomorrow, and may not understand what I'm trying to do.
> Thanks--any advice welcome!
> >

> -- > No virus found in this outgoing message.
> Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

-- No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.5 - Release Date: 2/3/05