RE: [AGA-Member] pH shock / climbing pH

I'd forgotten an important thing which was explained to me about the CO2
bottle - to turn it on full.  I had it on really low before (just barely
on), then was trying to set the regulator and the needle valve to the flow I
wanted.  The flow kept petering out on me, so this morning I turned gas on
at the CO2 bottle to a higher level - while foolishly at the same time
increasing my bubble rate.  What got me into the worst trouble, though, was
spending three hours with a repairman in the kitchen and not remembering to
carefully monitor the changes I'd made.

I've now reached the friend from whom I got the CO2 bottle, regulator, and
needle valve (he's out of town and just got my email), and he walked me
through everything - and this time I WROTE IT DOWN, as I should have done
the first time around.  I now also see the need for using a bubble counter.
I thought I could count the bubbles accurately enough in the reactor, but I
was wrong.  My friend also reminded me to double-check my KH, which I'd
forgotten to do this morning.  With the pH that went down to 6.5 and my KH
of 16 (making 144 ppm of CO2), I'm surprised my poor fish managed to survive
at all... no wonder they were all trying not to breathe!  I'll be shooting
for a pH of 7.5 once I get everything properly fine-tuned.

Aside from my CO2 overload problem this morning, I'm puzzled why my pH keeps
climbing.  I have a flourite substrate with laterite and Fertiplant Plus
(see http://www.floridadriftwood.com/product.asp?0=242&1=255&3=766 for more
info on the latter), and our well water has a pH that ranges between 7.4 and
7.6.  I have a heck of a time keeping the pH below 8 in my tanks, though.  I
can keep it between 8 and 8.2 pretty easily with daily 20 - 25% water
changes, but getting below it is a challenge.  I've just gotten some Hagen
pelletized peat to try to help with this, and it's helping a little bit (I
need to figure out how much to use), but I'm still puzzled at the underlying
trend toward a high pH.  Two of my tanks have the flourite, laterite, and
Fertiplant Plus substrate, and one just has flourite, laterite, some gravel,
and some coarse sand, but all three tanks have this problem.  Any ideas?
The next time I set up a tank I think I want to change whatever it is that's
causing this upward pH creep.

Thank you so much for your informative explanation on the CO2 setup.  I
didn't realize how much I hadn't fully grasped about the setup until today -
I thought I had a better handle on it.  I really appreciate the help!

Kirsten