Re: Anerobic substrate... was Failure keeping cichlids in the long term

Hi,
I use sponge-filters in all my apisto tanks, because homemade ones are
so cheap and easy. I have undergravel for some of my killies, and in a
showtank in my dining room. I've run the latter for 7 years now, with
excellent plant growth, and no die offs. It's the most stable tank I
have ever owned. I'll jinx myself by saying this, but I have never
treated any disease in that tank, and every fish death in it has
involved aged specimens. It is an almost mystical tank to me - I wish I
knew what was right with it.
However, I can say the UG filter can't be wrong with it. I tend towards
the idea a UG with a powerhead like this one works better than air
driven versions though.
It isn't an apisto tank per se - it's a cardinal tank, with corydoras,
mixer tetras I've picked from shipments and odds and ends apistos,
mismatched fish, extra males, etc.
Oh yes, I vacuum the gravel every two months or so.
Gary