Re: Red Wrigglers...

We only have the one worm composting box in the apartment.  It doesn't stink
(not like the cat litterboxes next to it :) )  I prepare meals for 3 adults
and 2 teenagers....so make that 6.5 adults. :)  If I would use _all_ the
veggie scraps etc. as worm food, I'd need one composting box per person in
the household!  I could keep a fish farm fed with the worms.  It's just that
there isn't room for everything. :(

The part of this that I appreciate the most is that the city of Toronto
subsidizes my fish food.  I  paid a pittance for the kit and it doesn't cost
money to keep it going.  The fish just watch as I go into the storeroom.
They swim up and down the glass knowing that dinner's on it's way.  It's
pretty funny to watch them eat the worms,  especially when they've got one
hanging out through their gills. :)  It's like feeding babies.  I watch them
until they finish chewing, and then plop another worm into the tank.  The
bigger cichlids (Heckel's Threadfins) can eat three of these per meal.
(Piggies.)  And they fight over them.  Ever seen two fish on either end of a
worm?  Poor worm.....ah well, it's over quickly.  Cacatoides _love_ them,
but I have to cut the worms into pieces for them.  Satanopercas go wild over
them too.

The woman at the shop where I bought the kit blanched, when I told her that
I was going to feed the worms to my fish.......I could just sense the wheels
turning in her mind......'should I sell this potential worm torturer these
worms or not?'  Too ecologically minded, that one.  If I wouldn't be feeding
them to my fish, I'd have a million worms by now.

If you ever want to see 'action' drop a cupful of worms into the lake and
watch what happens via a fishfinder......(I don't go fishing, and my stepson
just bought the thing because he likes 'toys'.  He hasn't the heart to
actually catch fish via hook or lure...especially since his stepmom breeds
fish and now, he's gotten into keeping fish too. :)  Contagious disease
warning. LOL )

Gabriella