Re: Rio Xingu

> Can anyone tell me where in South America is the Rio Xingu?  Which
> apistos are found there?  What is the river like, i.e. blackwater,
> whitewater, still, or fast flowing?  I would like to get more background
> on where the fish I keep come from.  Are there recources out there to find
> this info without actually going there?

The Rio Xingu is found in North-Eastern Brazil. It's headwaters are
in the Mato Grosso and it flows through the state of Para on it's
way to it's confluence with the Amazon. It is a clearwater river, with
variable conditions dependent on the time of year but low dissolved
solids all year round. It is warm area, this being borne out by the
breeders of some of the Loricariids from this area, who find elevated
temperatures frequently neccessary for success. It is also fairly
deep and turbulent, with high oxygen levels. I have a paper
somewhere on the conditions found during an extended survey of
both this and the Araguaia river. If I remember I'll dig it out.
What are the fish in question which you are interested in?
Pete Liptrot
Bolton Museum Aquarium
Le Mans Crescent, Bolton BL1 1SE
01204 332200