Re: Anyone's commerc. bred rams raised their young?

Bingo!..........................I've felt that for years and years.....same thing with angels..........  Get their tank right for them and they'll get it right.  No proof folks.....sorry....just observation......something's missing and we haven't found the real key to some of these fish.....and it may be individual or specific to each pair of fish.....that's what elovution is all about.....the specific key to each pair........not a broad generalization.  I've had angels (not wild) eat their eggs for 15-18 spawns or more and then all of a sudden the parental mode kicks in and they are the best parents I ever had.........maybe it's an age factor.  Possibly imature fish are being expected to behave like older fish...............just guessing.

Everyone have a good weekend.

Mike

>>> Jota Melgar<jsmelgar@compuserve.com> 04/07/00 01:19AM >>>
I am with John and Kathy on this one. The fact that so many commercial
aquarium strains such as cacatuoides "3X Red", cacatuoides "Red Flash, etc.
are able to raise their offspring contradicts the theory that parental care
is learned behavior. I would blame chronic egg eating in rams on something
else like hormones or environmental stress.

We'll never settle this one out.

Julio