Re: Pelvicachromis taeniatus

Moe Balika wrote:

> We are looking for some advice. We bought 2f, 1m pelvicachromis taeniatus
> "Nyete" at the Detroit ACA last summer. Since then we have tried everything
> to get them to spawn. (ph,hardness, switched females,more water changes
> etc..) The female is always displaying to the male but the male does not pay
> any attention to her at all. Any suggestions?
>
> Moe & Deb

This is a big problem with taeniatus, and with other Pelvicachromis.
I've also seen it with humilis, big time. When I used to breed
taeniatus, it was interesting to have a tankful of young adults, and be
able to pick out the males who responded to the females. Some never did,
no matter what.
I once spoke to a European breeder who used hormones to bring his taenie
males around, and swore that was the only surefire trick. It's not
something I'd do.
I know this isn't especially helpful, but you aren't alone with this
problem.
They are easily bullied (the non-sparking males are often dominated by
much smaller females) so watch their tankmates, feed them well and hope?
-Gary