RE: multiple broods in same tank??

Mornin' John;

I have had that experience with my Cacatuoides, and you acted wisely.
When I got my first successful brood, I siphoned off 2/3 to 3/4 of the brood
and left the rest to see what would transpire since mom had a new batch of
fry. When first noticed there were about fifty free swimmers. There were
still seven young from the first clutch (1/2 inch or so). The young brood
dwindled to about a dozen in the first three days (I assumed it was the
older ones - only because I did not lose any of the first brood). Also, mom
and dad made quick work (a week) of cutting the number of older babies from
seven to two. They also had help from harem female No. 2 (Snapped a pic of
that ). Since then the two remaining older fry have survived to an inch and
a half but none of the subsequent broods fair so well. I am leaving any new
free swimmers as fodder for the rest as I have no more room to rear (first
brood still growing well). As soon as they vacate my rearing tank I will
fill it with more. Until then, bigger fish eat little fish (I see it as
cheap food - hope that doesn't offend anyone). They are sure an interesting
species to watch and experiment with. I have now noticed that the two older
fry are male and female, they are eight weeks old and already dancing with
each other. The little male is even gill puffing at dad (funniest thing I've
ever seen-David and Goliath). The little female has staked claim to a small
cave in neutral territory, mom and Harem Female No. 2 are starting to accept
her (as much as they do with each other). Quite the little community now and
much fun to watch develop.