PH

Ok...now here's a weird one for everyone. I've been fighting to keep the PH
down in my 72 gal, as it would always rise into a high akaline no matter
what type of buffers I used. I added a nylon bag off spagnum peat to my
penguin emporer bio wheel filter and it stays down around 6.8. The other
day I turned off the emporer for the afternoon, for some peace and non
gurgling quiet, and forgot to turn it back on until the next morning. In a
panic I checked the PH and it's in the basement, Like high 5's to 6.0. If I
turn on the emporer, which has nothing in it except peat moss and some
standard floss filter media, the PH rises. Now what's with that? Could it
somehow be ionizing the water into an akaline state? I went so far as to
call Texas and get the specs on the gravel, which is 99.9% silicon and
inert when it was PH tested. Has anyone else had this experience?...thx and
sorry for getting off the apisto subject and into the twilight zone....Mike.