digital photography

Forgive me for jumping in so late.  I've just skimmed the past week's
worth of emails.

For two years I have been experimenting with digital photography in my
fishroom.  I started with the Nikon 900, last year moved up to the 950
(and sold my 900 to Helen), and just Tuesday I got one of the first
990's.

As someone pointed out, I have given a summary of my experiences in a
article posted on a digital photography webzine:
http://www.megapixel.net/html/issueindex.html (go to articles, then drop
down the box for "technical subjects" and click on "Aquarium
Photography.")

The Nikon 990 has a 3.3 million pixel sensor.  A 2048x1536 photo can
surpass a meg of memory with all the detail the jpeg holds.  The critics
are saying that it and a few other comparable cameras are now comparable
to 35mm.  While not cheap (mine cost about $900), it is still a
consumer's camera.  I can add on a macro lens and use a remote flash. I
can set aperture, shutter speed, and step the brightness up or down by
1/3.  I can spot- or center-weight metering.  The camera can focus
manually or automatically, and I can set autofocus to adjust to a
specified area.

I'm sold on digital and will not go back to film.  Several of my
aquarium photos have reproduced nicely in a European magazine and one
made the cover.  My digital images are regularly showing scales on fin
rays and individual teeth in 1.5 inch tetras.

Like Mike Wise, I make my slides from my computer screen.  With a
digital darkroom, I can frame the slide to just the way I want it.

I could go on, but I need to get familiar with my new camera.  I'll try
to get a few good shots and post them over the weekend.   I'll drop a
note here when they're up.

-- Randy
http://characin.com