Re: new guy with question/observation

Dustin,

I'd accept Scot & Bill's remarks and add just one
more. Your feeding schedule probably doomed most
of the fry to death by starvation. I doubt that
there are enough microorganisms, even in a well
planted 10 gallon tank, to feed the 50-100 fry
that Kribs usually produce. Those that didn't
starve were probably picked off by your other
hungry fish. Although most fish in our aquariums
are overfed, I feel you are dangerously
underfeeding your Kribs. Kribs are cichlids and
cichlids are heavy eaters, needing more food than
their vegetarian tank mates who can graze off of
the foliage. If you hope to keep any fry at all
you will have to feed them at least once each day
just to get a few. Cichlids will waste away on
what you are feeding them now. It may take a year
but their body mass will eventually shrink to
nothing. If you are primarily working on a planted
aquarium, your choice of species is not ideal.
They are too large and there are too many for a 10
gallon Leiden type aquarium. Actually, the 10 is
maxed out fishwise right now. If you want a water
garden stay a few small fish. Please don't abuse
your fish.

Mike Wise