Re: Tonics, Peats, and Buffers

In a message dated 6/12/00 12:11:25 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
colingorton@wanadoo.es writes:

> >I bought a bottle of the Amazon Extract (or whatever the exact title
>  >of the Marc Weiss product is) a while back and have added it
>  >occasionally to the tank.
>
>  > From what everyone's saying, I think I should just stop using it.
>  >But, do I need to consider a massive water change, or just go on as
>  >though I'd never use it?
>
>  >Are we talking just plain-ol' snake oil, or snake poison?
>

>  >Stuart
>  >--
>  >Stuart Hall
>  >(sturob@swbell.net)
>  >(gasdocstu@my-deja.com)
>
>  This really is the crux of the matter. On the plants list, the lack of
>  bottle/manufacturer information was discussed at some length and
>  severely criticised.
>  I often think that the plants list guys are more on the ball than any of
>  us, not because they are more interested/expert but because they have a
>  fixed set of parameters to work on, curled leaves?: look at calcium
>  etc.
>  We, on the other hand, can sometimes believe in things without
>  necessarily having proof of its efficacy, because there are _still_ so
>  many unknowns; vitamins, acids and extracts etc.
>  Personally I'd go with what Eric said (he's _much_ more knowledgeable on
>  these things) and call it 'snake oil' until someone reall has _positive_
>  proof of its benefits.

Proof of the benefits should be now harder to get than a set of test kits.
Fill a bucket with some water.  Test it for pH, GH, and KH.  Add some "snake
oil", and test it again.  If that doesn't confirm whether it does what it
should, something is wrong with your expectations of the product.

Bob Dixon