Re: Melafix for eggs

Raymond writes:

> I know that the topic concerning 'Melafix' has been around but I didn't get
>  a chance to read all the messages so if this is a repeat could someone
send
>  the answer to me pls?
>
>  In the newsgroup (forgot which one..)some people were suggesting using
>  Melafix as an anti fungual instead of methyl blue when they were
artificial
>  hatching their eggs... does this work? I usually don't use anything when I
>  artifically hatch my eggs.. but I'd have to spend more time removing
>  'white/dead' eggs to avoid ruining the water... unfortuantly I haven't had
>  much success with methyl blue... maybe the reason is my eggs weren't
>  fertilized in the first place...

In truth , methylene blue has recently been shown to do absolutely nothing
except stain the silicone in the corners of your tank.  Other things are
better, but are never recommended by the LFS(Maroxy being the most readily
available.).  Last weekend I bought some melafix because of the talk on this
list.  That same afternoon I happened across some nice-looking small angels,
but with ratty, beat-up, slightly fungused fins.  I took them home anyway,
and put them in a bare tank with the appropriate amount of melafix.  The
bottle said repeat the dose daily, but I didn't bother, because by the next
day the thin layer of fungus was gone.  By day two the caudals and dorsals
were clearly repairing themselves.  Now they look great.  I haven't had much
luck with my angelfish eggs lately.  The last two batches I got to hatch, but
the died as they became free-swimming, and turned quickly into olittle
fuzz-balls on the bottom of the tank.  The next batch is getting melafix, and
I may dump a little in with my next egg-tending female Apisto.  I'd say go
for it.

Bob Dixon