Re: ram young and Lilia

Lilia.....are the parents of your rams exceptionally small?  Sometimes
really small fish can have really small eggs and therefore very small fry.
I have raised in the past 6-8 months or so 3-4-5 spawns of rams and
microworms was the first food for all but 1 of the spawns.......the other
spawn I didn't have micros around and they actually took
bbshrimp.........BUT.....BABY RAMS ARE SENSITIVE TO GOOD WATER QUALITY!

Anyway........next time around, on the first feeding do two
things.......take some live plants and crush about 1/2 a stalk.....2-3
inches and put the crushed live plant in amongst the young fry.......also
put in the live plants before the eggs hatch........also put in about 1/2 of
a dose of microworms..............you will find the plants will keep the
water really clean of waste material which I suspect is your problem.  To
also help with the water problem put a sponge filter.......already
seeded......in with the hatching in addition to the airstone.  IT JUST
STRUCK ME..........don't feed until the fry are all completely up off the
bottom and swimming.....about 8 days after laying depending on your
temperature........if you feed earlier they will just wallow in the live
food but will not eat them and they will die because of all sorts of
reasons.  Now rams tend to stay closer to the bottom than say angel fry but
there will be a day when you can look and see all of them swimming.  After
they come up and are swimming you have about 12-15 hours to get some chow
into the bellies before they starve.

Lila.....let us know if any of this might help or if it rings
true.........in particular the "early" feeding.

Mike

Mike Jacobs
Center for Advanced Technologies
Lakewood H.S.