Re: White film

In a message dated 10/31/00 11:44:41 AM Mountain Standard Time,
emartina@uiuc.edu writes:

<< I just started up a new 37 gallon tank last Wednesday. The gravel is 50%
 epoxy coated gravel and 50% laterite. The tank is planted, has one large
 piece of drift wood and one large lace rock. I am using a Fluval 304
 canister filter. I also have 10 danios in it for cycling purposes.
    When I filled the tank it got very white and cloudy, as I expected. It has
 cleared up some, but not completely yet. What concerns me is that the lace
 rock (and only the lace rock) has this white film covering it now. I am
 thinking it is some sort of bacteria. Does anyone have any ideas? Is this
 good, bad, neutral? Thanks!

It's "dust" from the laterite.  You are using WAY more than recommended.  10
grams per gallon is all that should be needed.  Since your 37 gallon is
actually a 30-gallon with extra height, you need three inches of gravel with
300 grams in the bottom two inches.  Is the amount you're using a problem?  I
don't know.  I'm fairly certain though that the white on your rock is
sediment from the the initial cloudiness caused by too much laterite.

Bob Dixon