Re: pseudo. nicolsi

Steve,

Pseudocrenilabris nicholsi is a haplochromine with
typical haplochromine breeding behavior. Females
are mouthbrooders and the males are highly
polygamous, no, promiscuous is a better word. I
have never had a "pair" successfully breed for me
because the males usually drives single females
until they die. It is best to have 3 or more
females for every male (to share the abuse). Males
guard a territory usually centered around a rock
or other hard surface and entice every willing
female to breed with him. Once the females have a
mouth full of eggs, the male drives them away and
starts his courting dance all over again. 1"/2.5cm
fish are a bit small but could be starting to
court and breed already. Check for fish hiding in
the upper levels and dark corners of your tank. If
they look like they have a mouthful of eggs, it's
time to carefully remove them to a separate tank
where they can incubate their eggs in peace.

Mike Wise